Progress + & Shape of Training is COMING! August 2023
Do you know what this means for your training? Well it’s time to start reading all the amazing resources out there!
The LSP has created a brief summary of the key facts, all taken from the RCPCH website and the West Midlands School of Paeds brilliant web page. You can find further information on the college website, and all the links can be found below!
Paediatric training is about to change as Progress + is rolled out from Summer 2023. The GMC has approved the introduction of a 2 level run through speciality training programme!
- Current structure = 3 levels from ST1 – ST8
- New Structure = 2 levels from ST1 – ST7
- ST 1-ST4 = CORE
- ST5-ST7 = Speciality / Gen Paeds
- Only theory exams needed by end of ST3
- Clinical exam needed by end of ST4
- More flexibility with career intentions and local needs
- More OOP opportunities especially between level 1 and 2
- Commence START prep in ST6
- 11 new principles introduced in the Paediatrician of the Future document
THE STRUCTURE/PATHWAY FOR PROGRESS +
- ST1 – ST4
- Will involve general paeds, tertiary neonates, speciality posts
- ST5 – ST7
- GRID (Sub-speciality) or General Paeds +/- SPIN
PLEASE READ ALL THE MATERIALS BELOW TO UNDERSTAND EXACTLY WHAT WILL BE HAPPENING TO YOUR TRAINING.
1st - Take a look at these key slides to understand the new pathway
2nd - Check out the summary about how this will affect your training grade
3rd - Scroll past for information about how this will affect ARCP, our Shape of Training Info Evening Recording and the key links to check on the RCPCH website
PROGRESS TO PROGRESS+ presentation FINAL
HOW DOES THIS AFFECT ARCP?
ARCP will be judged against the Progress Level 1, 2 and 3 curricula
- Consider ST4 who want to complete L2 training
- No requirement for time based specific placements
- Range of SLEs across general, neonatal and community settings
After Summer 2023
ARCPs will be judged against Progress+ Core and Specialty Curricula
- ST8 can remain on L3 Progress until 29/9/2024
- ‘Light touch’ ARCP for ST4 completing core in 2024
- Significant overlap between learning outcomes in Progress vs Progress+
- Progress+ curricula available on RCPCH website
- Progress+ curriculum is a change of emphasis rather than significant new content
- Trainees can start to include evidence of learning around child mental health, public health and in a variety of setting before 2023.
- None of the learning acquired to date will be lost and all capabilities will be carried over and mapped to Progress+
OUR SHAPE OF TRAINING EVENING: As promised a few resources for you to watch and read!
- Shape of Training Information Evening Recording:
- LSP FAQs:
- How will Progress + affect you?
- I have an unanswered question. Who can I contact?
OTHER KEY RESOURCES:
- Paediatrician of the Future: