Annual Review of Competence Progression
There are just two formal things that the London School of Paediatrics does. One is to place trainees in suitable posts, the other is to monitor progression of trainees through the programme. The primary place progression is checked, or signed off, is at ARCP. This is where all the experiences that a trainee has had over the preceding year, leading to evidence is reviewed by a fairly experienced panel, the ARCP panel. The ARCP process also serves to re-accredit you as a Doctor, whether you are currently in training or not. Only if you are on long term sick or mat leave do you not do ARCP.
There are three products from the ARCP process:
- An Outcome (see below)
- A recommendation to re-accredit
- An updated CCT date, based on any new information reviewed by the ARCP panel.
All this is a big deal, and this is the most important event in the training year, for both a trainee and for the school. As 1000+ trainees are reviewed every year, and its really important, we have put this section of the website together to help trainees get their portfolio in good shape. It helps the panel, it helps the trainee.
These are the possible outcomes from ARCP
- Outcome 1: Satisfactory Progress – achieving progress and competences at the expected rate
- Outcome 2: Development of specific competences required – additional training time not required
- Outcome 3: Inadequate progress by the trainee – additional training time required
- Outcome 4: Released from training programme with or without specified competences
- Outcome 5: Incomplete evidence presented – additional training time may be required
- Outcome 6: Gained all required competences for the programme – will be recommended as having completed the training programme and for award of a CCT or CESR/CEGPR
- Outcome 7: These are LAT outcomes
- Outcome 8: Used for OOPE, OOPR, OOPC.
- Outcome 9: These are for post CCT training
- Outcome 10: Covid outcomes, likely to not be used after 2021
How do I get an Outcome 1 (or 6 or 8 if that is where you are at)??
The key is preparation, and this webpage is there to help focus this. It boils down to relevant evidence, organisation and timing. As the outcome is totally dependent on evidence that the panel can find on Kaizen, it has to be there and findable.
- Get prepared ages in advance. There is more on this below. But evidence takes a while to gather, and often requires someone else's input. So know what you have to do, and make plans to get evidence of having done this uploaded before the ARCP deadline. You will be emailed with this deadline.
- On Kaizen in the documents section, create a folder labelled ARCP (and insert the season and year eg ARCP summer 2022). Everyone has to do this, even if on OOPR, or OOPC whatever.
- In this put an updated placement proforma, and take care to get the dates right.
- The RCPCH CCT calculator, again updated,
- A form R. Please ensure that you have the correct number of "Time out of training" filled in, in DAYS.
- If you are actually training you will also need an updated courses and exams proforma.
Useful places to look: