What do trainees want from their educational supervisor?
* For them to get to know them and be interested in them as people with a life outside work
* Regular informal meetings away from the computer. Each educational supervisor should have an hour a week per trainee in their job plan. It is therefore reasonable for trainees to expect to meet their supervisor at least monthly but preferably more often.
* Knowledge of how their training works, how to get the most out of their e-portfolio and what is needed in order to complete each level of training
* Accessibility and availability to arrange meetings and complete assessments and reports, preferably without needing to be chased all the time!
* A broad understanding of career options and training opportunities such as GRID and SPIN modules. Ability to sign post trainees to opportunities they may be interested in
* The ability to support and mentor whenever needed and to spot when a trainee needs extra support. To recognise that transition to each new level of training carries particular anxieties for many trainees, especially to level 2.
* Understanding of what to do if a trainee needs mental health support.
* To be approachable and flexible
* To give feedback regularly
* The possibility of more long term mentoring after they have left the Trust