2021 Module Dates. *Now Open for booking* *online for 2021*
We are pleased to announce that we will be running the following modules again in 2021.
*Now open for booking*
- General Paediatric Critical Care including HDU: 24,25 Mar + 20,21,22 April 2021
- Paediatric Critical Care – Cardiac, 7-11th June 2021
- Paediatric Critical Care – Tranport, 21-25th June 2021
These modules are relevant for GRID, SPIN and all multi-professional colleagues with an interest or career aspirations in critical care.
Please contact Nick Prince if you require further information: nprince @ nhs.net
These 5 day modules are taught at MSc level and form part of the UCL / GOSH MSc Advanced Paediatrics Programme. External candidates are invited to apply to study separate modules alongside the MSc students.
Content is matched to UK and global PICM curricula, aiming to provide much of the knowledge and understanding required to undertake the EPIC DIPLOMA (European Paediatric/Neonatal Intensive Care; ESPNIC – European Society of Paediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care).
Who are these modules for?
These modules are appropriate for multi-professional candidates with clinical roles in acute paediatrics.
General Paediatric Intensive Care Module:
Course Directors: Dr Nicholas Prince (St. George’s Hospital), Dr Andrew Jones (Great Ormond Street Hospital).
The general module will provide an excellent foundation for candidates entering paediatric critical care training (e.g. RCPCH GRID) or looking to work within paediatric HDU (e.g. via the RCPCH SPIN route)
- Organisation of UK Paediatric Critical Care (PCC) services including quality, benchmarking and service improvement.
- Physiological basis for critical illness.
- Advanced pharmacology: drug choices, indications and side effects.
- Organ support on the paediatric critical care unit: the physiological need and physics of therapy.
- Right line, right place, right time.
- Planning care for children with complex multisystem disease.
- Human factors in critical care environments and crew resource management.
- Current ‘Hot Topics’ in evidence-based PCC.
- End of life care
Cardiac Paediatric Intensive Care Module:
Module Director: Dr Veena Rajagopal (Great Ormond Street Hospital)
The cardiac critical care module is additionally suitable for candidates working in or with an interest in paediatric cardiology.
- Basis of cardiac disease in children as an introduction to paediatric cardiology and cardiac intensive care to include
embryology and physiology.
- Paediatric heart failure management.
- Congenital cardiac lesions, including the postnatal presentation and early management relevant to the general practitioner.
- Specific lesions to be covered will include left heart obstruction, mixing lesions, left to right shunt, right heart obstruction and patent ductus.
- Introduction to the concepts and practice of cardiopulmonary bypass.
- Arrhythmia management
- Ethics and future directions of cardiac intensive care medicine
Transport – Paediatric Intensive Care Module:
Module Director: Dr Linda Chigaru (Great Ormond Street Hospital)
The highly practical transport module is designed will be relevant to general paediatricians, paediatric critical care specialists, anaesthetists and allied health professionals with an interest in assessment, resuscitation, stabilisation and transport of the critically ill child.
- Development of a functional multi-disciplinary team.
- Assessment of the critically ill child.
- Resuscitation and stabilisation of all common paediatric emergencies with hands-on experience.
- Practical aspects of critical care transport and transport triage.
- Introduction to transport crew resource management.
- Framework for debriefing clinical events.
- Principles behind governance and safety, quality, benchmarking and service improvement when out in the field.
- Introduction to aeronautical transport principles